Monday, July 16, 2012

Flour Paste Resist

I saw this and this some time last week and I had to give it a go.

I grabbed one of my Dad's old shirts, cut it up into sections and spread flour paste (just flour and water) over the top.I drew into the paste with a sharp tool and let it dry.  Once it was dry I scrunched the fabric up (creating cracks in the surface) and then painted watery acrylic paint over the top.

This first piece was just plain flour paste with no drawing. I just cracked the flour paste and painted it.

There's still a little flour paste on the fabric (even after a long soak and a rinse and spin in the washing machine) so I need to give it another wash.


A close up of the cracks.

I'm pretty impressed with how soft the fabric is after having acrylic paint applied to it - it never occurred to me before to use acrylic on fabric - now I have all these ideas for painting on fabric.


I drew little sun shapes into this piece (below). It ended up being the least successful one. Not sure why.


This sample (below) was my favourite. I drew little scribbly circles into the surface.


And a close up:


Not entirely sure what I'm going to use these for but I enjoyed making them. Next time I want to try working on top of coloured fabric.

3 comments:

Pamela Joy Purses said...

you have amazing talent...do you have any videos with your tutorials?, huggs, Pamela Joy www.pamelajoypurses.ning.com

Pamela Joy Purses said...

Awesome!! huggs, Pamela
www.pamelajoypurses.ning.com

Rachel said...

Thanks :) - no videos - I learnt this one from someone else's tutorial.
I have some old, basic textiles videos here though: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6787DD04AC48A917&feature=edit_ok