Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Knitting Fabrics


I’ve been knitting a lot recently.

I’m working on one of Jane Thornley’s patternsSunset Bolero. Except mine’s more of an earthy vest.

I’m using some really nasty yarn I found in the charity shop – it’s like 20% nylon – 80% acrylic and looks like it’s been lurking in someone’s yarn collection since the 60s (it’s the sort of yarn that probably spontaneous combusts if it’s exposed to too much friction), some of my first handspun yarn (spun on my drop spindle) and the rest is yarn that I spun out of fabric (the leg of some brown satin pjs and the leg of a pair of brown leggings) and nylon tights/stockings.



I love the way it’s knitting up – I’m getting a nicely textured fabric. I’m not sure if it’s something I’ll actually wear at the moment but I’m having fun with it. When I started I was thinking of a cross between leather jackets, woodland soil, Lara Croft and Helen Cutter from Primeval.

There hasn’t been a lot of sewing going on around here lately, unless you count the stuffed alphabet I made for my little one. I’m currently looking at getting a new sewing machine so if anyone has any recommendations of budget sewing machines that do free motion embroidery, please share. Thanks :)

No comments: